General information about the Climathon
Climathon is a year-round programme, with a powerful solutions-hackathon at its core, creating climate action in the form of tangible projects; supporting climate positive businesses and start-ups; and, addressing local policy changes.
Climathon follows three steps toward achieving climate action,
- Defining the climate challenges
- Developing solutions to solve climate challenges
- Providing continued support to realise the solutions
Climathon offers you the chance to take action to create real solutions to your city’s climate challenges. You can also benefit from:
• Helping to make your city more resilient to climate change
• Networking with local leaders from academia, business, and public authorities
• Developing your skills in public speaking, innovative thinking, prioritisation, and exploring new tools and methodologies
• Joining forces with other like-minded entrepreneurs, students and developers
• Generating ideas and solutions to climate change that can become real-life businesses
• Becoming a part of a global community working together to take climate action!
The Global Climathon Day is on 25 October 2019. As most of the hackathons are 24 hours or longer it will run into another day. Check the city page from your location for the exact start and end time.
- Pre-ideation workshop
- Challenge co-creation workshop
- Fireside with inspiring speaker
- Data collection for challenge
- Duration of 12-72 hours
- Tracks for specific groups (e.g. participants without ideas, start-ups, policymakers, intrapreneurs)
- Public involvement forum
- Further support programmes (e.g. coaching, incubation)
- Public voting for best solution
- Local winner selection
- Hosted by Climate-KIC
- Global audience
- Various awards to win
- Planned for Q4 2019
Cities all around the globe are preparing their Climathon events during the summer 2019. The Climathon website will open for participant registration as soon as the local cities have created their websites, which will be from July 2019. If you cannot find your city to sign-up for, the registration has not opened yet.
These are the common participant types you fill find at your local Climathon events
- Policy makers
- Other citizens interested in topic
- School students (Young Climathon)
During the event
At Climathon, we operate under a mindset of open collaboration focused on transformative and climate-positive impact and, by default, all challenges and solutions publicly contributed to the Climathon website or ideated as part of any of the Climathon-branded events become shareable and reusable by anyone. If you have been inspired by a specific solution, we recommend that you get in touch with the relevant team or, at the very least, give credit to the team behind it by referencing the solution subpage as the original source. Who knows, this might lead to an opportunity to work together or find new partners.
It is part of our ethos that openness and co-creation are at the foundation of innovations that can truly make a dent in our road to a decarbonised society. We understand, however, that there may be special cases where sensitive information may be difficult to share publicly. For teams in this position, we encourage you to share only what you feel comfortable with and to upload a high-level explanation of your idea on our website (we do not need all the technical details to assess its potential) to give the wider Climathon community an opportunity to reach out to you and share valuable feedback on your solution. If you need extra support with intellectual property concerns, please contact us at climathon.old.climate-kic.org.